Phd & Postdoc
Please check-out the current call for applications within the cluster of excellence Science of Intelligence” (Deadline: February 15th, 2019). Two positions combining experimental work with fish with state of the art theoretical approaches will be directly associated with our lab:
- Doctoral Project: Quantifying and Modelling Collective Behavior of Fish across Ecological Contexts
- Doctoral Project: Collective Adaptation and Learning in Fish Schools
Independently of open positions, if you are interested in joining our group for your PhD, or as a Postdoctoral Fellow, and you have good mathematics and/or programming skills, please contact Pawel Romanczuk with a brief statement of interest and a CV, to discuss possible options (specifically funding options).
Bachelor & Master thesis
For students interested in a thesis in theoretical biology, theoretical biophysics, or theoretical physics applied to biological problems, we can provide different thesis projects (Bachelor/Master) on
- modeling and theory of flocking, schooling and swarming from cellular ensembles to fish,
- analysis of experimental lab and field data on collective behavior,
- Evolutionary games to explore the emergence of cooperation. For example, currently we can offer a thesis project on cooperation and competition in fungi networks in collaboration with Dr. Milica Lakovic from the Rilling Group-FU Berlin.
If you want to learn more, please write an Email to Pawel Romanczuk to inquire about a possibility of a corresponding student/thesis projects. The Email should include information about your interest, a short CV, as well as basic information about your field of study/relevant courses (e.g. a current transcript).
We maybe also able to offer individual research internships (6-12 weeks) for undergraduate students with a background in physics, biophysics, quantitative/theoretical biology, computer science, applied math or related fields. If you are interested please sent an Email with corresponding information about your person (see Bachelor & Master thesis section).
Please note, in general, we cannot cover the living & travel costs. Thus, if required, third party funding via corresponding scholarships/travel grants needs to be organized first. Furthermore, due to limited capacities in our group, you have to expect a waiting time of several months before being able to start a research internship.